Former National President & CEO Would Utilize Marijuana Revenue and Casino Funds To Provide Universal Pre-K and Increase Teacher Pay By Nearly 30%
Silver Spring, MD — TODAY, Friday, May 18, 2018, Ben Jealous, former National President & CEO of the NAACP, released his plan entitled “Ending the Crisis of Opportunity: A Plan To Better Educate Maryland’s Children.” The plan calls for utilizing revenue from the taxing and regulating of marijuana to provide full-day universal pre-K and significantly increasing teacher pay by keeping the promise made to voters and ensuring lottery and casino funds are actually used to increase education funding. In addition, Jealous proposes implementing recommendations from the Kirwan Commission and expanding vocational training in Maryland’s high schools so that every child graduates career and college ready.
“It’s beyond time we fully fund our schools and end the broken promises made to our children every election year,” Jealous said. “By shortchanging education today, we shortchange our economy tomorrow, which is why my plan ensures more children show up to school ready to learn and ultimately can graduate high school ready for a career, regardless of if they plan to attend college.”
Jealous has been endorsed by MSEA, a union representing 74,000 educators across Maryland, and has already released comprehensive plans on police reform, the opioid crisis, Medicare-for-All, seniors, higher education, and an economic plan for investing in Maryland’s cities. He has also called for a $15 minimum wage.
Highlights of Jealous’ K-12 education plan includes:
- Implementing the Kirwan Commission In Real Time
- As governor, Jealous will build the political will and courage to fully implement—and if necessary, strengthen—the recommendations of the Kirwan Commission by passing a fair funding formula and policy plan in the 2019 General Assembly session.
- Making Maryland A Place Where Educators Are Respected And Paid More
- As governor, Jealous will raise teacher pay by 29% to be more competitive with surrounding states, and end the era of educators earning less than a living wage.
- Pre-K For Every Young Marylander
- As governor, Jealous will provide the funding necessary for full-day, universal pre-K by taxing and regulating marijuana for adult use.
- Ending Poverty and Expanding Opportunity In Our Schools
- As governor, Jealous will prioritize funding for Maryland’s most impoverished districts and fight concentrated poverty through community schools.
- Expanding Support For Special Needs Children and Educators
- As governor, Jealous will convene subject matter experts to better support special education educators to ensure every special education student’s unique plan for academic success is met.
- Ensuring Every School Has Mental Health Professionals
- As governor, Jealous will work with key stakeholders like MSEA to increase staffing levels for social workers and school psychologists to identify mental health issues at their earliest stages.
For more information or to schedule an interview with Ben Jealous on this topic contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Paid for by Friends of Ben Jealous, Jason Small, Treasurer