In 2013, The Baltimore Sun named me Marylander of the Year in part due to my efforts as co-chair of the movement that enacted the Maryland DREAM Act. Immigrants in our communities are doctors, nurses, and students. They serve in our police forces and teach our children in school. They deserve our protection and policies that attempt to break up communities in Maryland hurt all of us, not just those who weren’t born here.
As an extension of my tuition-free community college plan, I’ve called for allocating $3 million to cover the cost of tuition and fees for DREAMers.
As governor, I will:
- Work with the legislature to pass the TRUST Act so we can keep law enforcement focused on public safety rather than adding to their already difficult jobs by making them immigration officers as well.
- Defend DREAMers and champion a pathway to citizenship on the federal level.
- Celebrate every Marylander who becomes a citizen.
- Make Maryland a welcoming state to refugees.
- Allocate $3 million to cover the cost of tuition and fees for DREAMers.